Saturday, November 26, 2011

It's a Jungle Out There (in kindergarten, that is)

I am so honored to be a part of this new blog! 
Sometimes being a kindergarten teacher, you feel like you are an entity of your own.  Even when conferences, activities, and workshops say they are created for K-3, you know that it really won't be pertain to you and your grade level if you teach K.  This is because most of your students come to you not being able to read, not being able to write and, often, not knowing how to appropriately socialize and interact in a group of 20+ children with only one adult overseeing.  It is a huge job to do, but someone has to do it and it might as well be me, someone who loves the challenge!
Here I am with one of my beanies from last year!
My name is Krissy Miner and I am a kindergarten teacher (for 12 years and counting).
  Is it easy? 
Absolutely not, but the challenge is what makes it all worth it in the end.
There is no other grade level that the students leave demonstrating as much growth as they do from start to finish in kindergarten.  Some come with little to no letter knowledge and leave, wait for it...
....READING and WRITING
(oh, and sitting still for longer than 15 minutes)

Writing a book "about the ABCs".  Look, he has
directionality!

 If that isn't amazing to anyone with connections to education, I would say that nothing is. I can't say that I agree wholeheartedly with the standards expected of these little beanies at such a young age, but they are what they are and I can say wholeheartedly that they are more than capable of achieving these expectations with lots of nurturing, accountability and believing in them.
As an author at PreK and K Sharing, I am devoted to bringing you the latest trials, tribulations and, of course, the celebrations straight from the jungle of Mrs. Miner's Monkey Business.  I would love to address specific questions and concerns about kindergarten from parents or beginning teachers in my postings here since it is all about SHARING, right?
Take a peek in my classroom (this was right before the kids joined me this year--it all goes to pieces once that happens!  You know the saying, "Excuse the mess, there's learning going on here."):
I would love for all of you to hop over to my blog to see what's going on there where I post regularly about kindergarten happenings.
Until next time,
Krissy Miner

2 comments:

  1. Mrs. Miner,

    It's so good to see you in here. By seeing your blog, I can tell that you are an amazing teacher! I look forward to reading more about Mrs. Miner's Monkey Business:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great to see you here, Krissy! I got lost at your blog, having too much fun looking through your printables. I added your freebies to my Free Preschool Printables for Activity Trays at http://livingmontessorinow.com/2011/09/15/free-preschool-printables-for-activity-trays/. I'll look forward to reading your posts each month! :) Deb @ LivingMontessoriNow.com

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear from you! Please feel free to leave a comment below....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...